Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Doofus Of The Day #951


Today's award goes to Rheinmetall, a highly respected (and respectable) German manufacturer of (among other things) large firearms such as cannon, and, of course, the ammunition that goes with such ordnance.

They're very proud of their new projectile, designed for use in the GAU-22/A 25mm. cannon of the F-35 Lightning II.  Unfortunately, the people who named it are presumably native German speakers.  At the very least, they're not familiar with current American-English slang or profanity.

You see . . . they've named their new round (and I quote from their press release) the '25mm x 137 Frangible Armour Piercing (FAP)' projectile.

Er . . . yes, but . . . clearly, they didn't think to look up that acronym in the Urban Dictionary!  I wonder how a pilot will report that he shot down something using his . . . oh, never mind!




Peter

8 comments:

Rolf said...

Man, if that don't beat all!

I know I'd hate to be FAPed.

Would a 25mm FAP be used in a short-stroke engine?

Yeah, I'd just agree with the idea of searching any possible acronyms you might be considering.

Timbo said...

My education would be incomplete were it not for this esteemed site!

Jim said...

I must be getting old. I had to look that one up.

Steffen said...

I have no doubts that the average fighter pilot will be looking forward to saying, "Then I FAPped the target to death." His buddies will be impressed, no doubt.

JayNola said...

That's at least an honorable mention for winning the Internet's for the day...

Anonymous said...

Perhaps simply a case of using the right tool for the job...

Phssthpok said...

Gives new meaning to 'shooting your load'...

Uncle Lar said...

Forgive me, but haven't the ground pounders always considered fighter pilots as a bunch of wankers?