Thursday, July 21, 2016

This should be worth waiting for


Move over, Hollywood, here comes Terry!

A new film of Sir Terry Pratchett's young adult novel The Wee Free Men is in development, it was announced yesterday. The film is to be produced by the Jim Henson Company, creators of The Muppets and the 1986 film Labyrinth, which starred David Bowie.




The 2003 novel will be adapted by the author's daughter, Rhianna Pratchett. “I’ve loved the Jim Henson Company’s work all my life, so it’s a great honour to team up with them and bring Wee Free Men to the big screen.” she said. Best known as a video-game writer for Tomb Raider, Pratchett is co-founder of Narrativia Limited, the company which owns the rights to the works of her late father, who died in March last year.

“My role will be to protect the brand that Dad has established,” she told The Telegraph in 2015. “I will steer Discworld. I will be a caretaker and look after how it’s used and adapted.”

. . .

“As a family owned company, we fully understand the importance of legacy properties,” said The Jim Henson Company chairman Brian Henson. “The Discworld series is a richly developed world with devoted fans, myself included, and there is no one better than Rhianna to bring Terry’s beloved project to life on the big screen.”

. . .

The Wee Free Men would be the first Pratchett novel to reach the big screen, though several of his books have been adapted for television by Sky, and for radio by the BBC. There are also plans for a 13-part Discworld series called The Watch, and a six-part TV adaptation of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s Good Omens, but as yet both projects are still in pre-production.

There's more at the link.

Sir Terry Pratchett's humor will probably be difficult to translate to the big screen, but I suspect there's no-one better qualified to do so than his daughter and the Jim Henson Company.  Both have extensive experience with translating fantasies to the screen environment.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results of their collaboration.  If it works, there might be a series coming out of this - The Wee Free Men was the first of five books 'starring' Tiffany Aching, and the others would make natural sequel material.

Now, if the Jim Henson Company can just keep Animal away from the Wee Free Men . . . although if worse came to worst, I suppose Rhianna could always have Nanny Ogg take care of him!




Peter

6 comments:

deb harvey said...

the wee free men are more than capable of dealing with animal... although they would probably get along famously.

Y. said...

>>Sir Terry Pratchett's humor will probably be difficult to translate to the big screen, but I suspect there's no-one better qualified to do so than his daughter and the Jim Henson Company.<<

Going Postal is a very good 2 part miniseries. Most excellent in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zae-Tq73pQ8

Toastrider said...

I didn't think the Hogfather adaptation was too bad, either.

Sherm said...

I started (re)reading the Discworld Series in sequence shortly after Terry Pratchett died because he will write no more. I often have two or three other things I'm reading but finished The Wee Free Men last week sometime. This book and the following A Hatful of Sky were a nice reminder of the Nac Mac Feegles.

Reading in sequence means I also discovered a book or three I'd missed.

Bibliotheca Servare said...

I just hope they don't add "diversity" for SJW points. Sir PTerry's work deserves more than to be a plaything of brainless, soulless imbeciles. He may have been horrifically misguided with regards to euthanasia, but his work is magnificent, and will endure the tests of time. Quite deservedly, in my opinion. The man had Genius, there can be no doubt. I hope this movie does justice to it! :-)

vorkosigan said...

Given the nature of his "embuggerance" I can certainly see his point about assisted suicide. A disease that takes, not your physical abilities, but slowly drains all that make you yourself, even your dignity--horrible. That said, the work Sir Pterry left behind will be treasured forever. Still trying to complete my Discworld collection. Here's hoping all the adaptations of his work are faithful to the spirit of their author.