Sunday, October 13, 2013

The ancient Romans would probably be pleased


I was surprised to read that a Roman bathhouse in North Africa is still in daily use, two millennia after it was constructed.  The BBC reports:

Observing middle-aged men swathed in white foamy soapsuds is not something I would normally write home about and it certainly wasn't why I was in north-east Algeria.

I had come to look at the Roman baths in Khenchela and had overlooked the fact that for many of the local population the attraction was not the ancient architecture or remarkable state of preservation but the fact there was a free and plentiful supply of hot water - still feeding into two open air baths.

. . .

Algeria is no exception to the humbling levels of warmth and generosity that strangers are afforded in this part of the world and within minutes of trying to talk in my best French - or, even less comprehensible there - my best Egyptian Arabic, I was surrounded by a group of men in swimming shorts eager to answer my queries about the baths and their history.

. . .

The daily ritual of public bathing is still clearly alive and well in Khenchela.

In fact, as I stepped over the stretched legs and passed reclined bodies dangling their legs in the sea-green water, I got the impression nothing had really changed since the baths were constructed in the first century AD. Only the more recent Ottoman brickwork, the newly constructed changing room doors and the numerous brightly coloured plastic buckets gave the game away.

The important social function of a bathhouse has also been retained - family issues are discussed and resolved and jokes and stories are told to echoing laughter and the sound of a slapped thigh, back or hand.

There's more at the link.  Here's a short video clip I found illustrating the Roman baths at Khenchela.





I wonder if they're still using the traditional Roman furnace and boiler to heat the water?  I can't imagine that the originals have survived for 2,000 years of daily use, but what replaced them?  If anyone knows, I'd be grateful if you'd please let us know in Comments.

Peter

4 comments:

Grace Bridges said...

It appears to be thermal: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammam_Essalihine

Not fair that it's only for men!

Anonymous said...

There were some Roman baths in the Rhine valley that were in use until the late 1300s (1360s, IIRC) until an earthquake upset the hydrology and interrupted the hot springs that fed the baths.

LittleRed1

Y. said...

Also interesting that seems no one has deigned to do some repair in the past 2,000 years..

ASM826 said...

Geothermal hot springs. It's why they built there originally.