Monday, April 11, 2011

A step back in time . . . pays dividends?


I was interested to read of a British reporter's attempt to live for a week in the manner of a 1950's housewife. She dressed, ate, and lived as closely as she could to the way in which people did back then, and the results turned out to be surprisingly good in many ways. Here's an excerpt.

Over this week, I have walked five-and-a-half miles a day. Each day has involved a litany of bending, scrubbing, lifting and dusting. It has been the equivalent of a three-hour-a-day gym workout, and I’m exhausted.

I’ve been sticking to the Fifties ration diet of 1,818 calories a day, but like many housewives of that era, I’m not hungry because I’ve eaten far more vegetables than normal.

When I pick my children up from school, they run out to play and I realise how calmer they have behaved since the television has been banned. Ruby shares her day with me, rather than her Facebook friends.

Ray, meanwhile, is so much happier with the radio playing in the background while we talk. It was rare to drink in the Fifties, and we haven’t missed our regular bottle of wine.

. . .

The Fifties may be gone, but every painful step I’ve taken with my pedometer has been one in the right direction.

I’m happy to return to the future - but I’m grateful for the lessons I’ve learnt from the past.


There's more at the link. Interesting and recommended reading.

Peter

No comments: